The ITF today warned the Turkish government that its attack on airline workers’ rights is dragging the country’s name through the mud and will be resisted by international trade unions.
May 31, 2012
The European Transport Workers’ Federation (ETF) has passed a resolution at its executive board meeting decrying an attempt to outlaw the right to take strike action in the aviation industry through a legislative amendment.
The executive board of the…
Singapore Airlines (SIA) has long been known for its iconic Singapore Girls, the demurely smiling stewardesses whose beauty and in-flight pampering harken back to a day when aviation was glamorous—and profitable. That allure, made famous in ads, drew high-paying premium-class flyers to Singapore Air, which in 2006 became the airline with the highest stock market value in the world. Thanks to belt-tightening by business travelers and the rapid growth of Middle Eastern airlines intent on offering even more in-cabin luxury, Singapore Air’s passenger count has fallen 12 percent since 2008—the biggest drop among 12 major full-service Asia-Pacific carriers. Air China overtook it in 2009 to become the world’s most valuable airline by stock value. Even worse, Singapore Air, which hasn’t recorded a full-year loss since it went public more than a quarter century ago, on May 10 reported red ink for the first quarter and slowed capacity growth at its flagship unit. “The fact is that they’re hurting,” says Peter Harbison, executive chairman of CAPA Center for Aviation, a Sydney-based company that advises airlines. “There’s good cause for a fundamental review of Singapore’s strategy.”
May 30, 2012
THE satay wasn’t all that great on the MAS flight to and from Tokyo last week. I’ve had better satay, and they’re not just the famous Samuri type from Kajang. The way the meat is marinated and the nut sauce are what make great satay.
But no one was complaining, partly because it’s nice to eat a familiar dish after being away for a while. And the cabin crew was polite, helpful and obliging.
Familiarity — that’s one word that many fliers have come to associate with our national airline. We are used to seeing it fly with pride, the wau bulan forever graceful when landing and taking off. Mind you, it’s still graceful, but with a little less shine.
The decoupling exercise between MAS and AirAsia is now history. MAS, with a longer history and track record, has to set its house in order and regain that glitter that was once the nation’s pride. And it can be done, if recent news is anything to go by.
Read more: My dear MAS, it’s time to fly! – Columnist – New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/opinion/columnist/my-dear-mas-it-s-time-to-fly-1.88012#ixzz1wLZLJf9K
The International Transport Workers’ Federation (ITF) has condemned the Turkish government’s continuing attempts to deprive citizens of their right to strike, and spoke out in support of airline workers who are resisting its draconian plans.
The government is attempting to bring in a legislative amendment that would effectively ban strikes in the aviation industry.
Members of the Hava-Is trade union working at Turkish Airlines and Turkish Technic are resisting, going on mass sick leave.
Mexicana Airlines (MX), which suspended operations under severe financial distress in August 2010, may relaunch operations June 9 after Spanish hotel and air transport group Med Atlantica acquired 95% of the bankrupt carrier’s shares (ATW Daily News, Aug. 30, 2010).
Federal judge Felipe Consuelo accepted and approved the deal, based on Med Atlantica’s ability to take over the airline from major shareholder Tenedora K business group, according to Mexican press. The company had 95% shares in holding company Nuevo Grupo Aeronáutico, which also owned subsidiaries Mexicana Click and Mexicana Link. The Mexican Airline Pilots Union (ASPA) owned the remaining 5%, which also have been purchased by the Spanish group.
May 25, 2012
Asserting union strength at global delivery companies worldwide was among the key topics discussed by activists attending a meeting in the UK this week.
More than 100 unionists from around the globe attended the ITF/UNI global delivery meeting in Londo…
May 18, 2012
More than 300 pilot and cabin crew unionists from across Europe have taken to the streets of the German city of Cologne in protest over the latest EU proposals regarding aircrew flight times.
Gathered in front of the European Aviation Safety Agency (EA…
May 16, 2012